Him?

is a funny thing. Well, funny might be the wrong word here. But I’m trying to curse less.

I’m just constantly amused and amazed by human attraction. It’s WEIRD. Really fucking weird. OK, so much for cursing less.

So here’s a little story about attraction (sloppy segue, sorry, I’m tired). I was out one night last week with a few girlfriends. We’re all around the same age, not that that matters. It was one friend’s birthday, and we were out celebrating. Since it was her birthday, we went to a where the guys were to her liking.

I guess I should mention that we all have very different taste in guys.

Very. Different. Taste.

At first I just thought it was mostly about age. I like ‘em older. She likes ‘em younger... You get the picture. But NO. There’s way more to it than that. We’re in this bar full of guys I might have hung out with/dated when I was 23 and my friend (the one who likes younger guys) looks around and says there were no cute guys in the place.

I look around and think, WTF?  Now, I wasn’t interested. They were all WAY too young for me. But there were, in my eyes, at least a handful of cute young ones. But my opinion wasn’t the opinion that mattered. A few minutes passed and she grabs me and points out a guy she thinks is , standing a few feet away from us (I guess he just walked in). I nearly gagged. I would have tagged him as one of the least attractive guys in the place.

Taste. It’s fucking weird. #thatisall

Tags: , ,

7 to “Him?”

1. Rufus Dogg says:

I visit my favorite bar almost every other day (ok, not really a bar, it is a Kroger grocery store but I live in Dayton, Ohio.. cut me some slack!) The odd assortment of mis-matched couples all around me is at the same time amusing and terrifying to me. I suppose if I spent a few minutes analyzing it and trying to make sense of it, I could come up with some sort of social algorithm that explains attraction probabilities.

Or I could sit back and enjoy the live theatre around me. Most days, I choose the latter.
    Rufus Dogg recently posted..You ain’t no Steve JobsMy Profile

2. AS says:

Well I guess that they do say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Perhaps she had her ‘wine goggles’ on!

3. Spinsterlicious says:

Taste is so personal…and thank goodness. My friends and I will never have that awkward thing where two friends are attracted to the same guy ( like in the movies)
    -The Spinsterlicious Life
    Spinsterlicious recently posted..My First Published Magazine Article (Yay!)My Profile

4. HP says:

Yeah I have friends that do the same thing and I’m just like “What? You find him attractive?”. At the same time my boyfriend is so not conventionally attractive, if I would have seen him walk down the street I would probably not have given him a second glance. But from the first date there was something there, I would never have believed in chemistry if I wasn’t involved in a relationship that had that spark. Part of it is smell, he smells SOOO good but it’s also a bunch of other things. I still don’t find him “hot” but he is the cutest damn guy in the world to me. Yet if I wouldn’t know him, I know I wouldn’t think that way.

5. Dazediva says:

Attraction is really quite funny. As AS put it – beauty is in the eye of the beholder and like Spinsterlicious – I’m so glad that my friends and are do not have the same taste !

In fact my attraction levels are all haywire – I have a ‘type’ but I don’t have one at the same time .. !!
    Dazediva recently posted..Cold FeetMy Profile

6. Lennie Ross says:

I hear you, Simone. My girlfriends are the same way. They’re almost all in their 40s and they think dating 30 year olds with rock hard abs is where it’s at. Give me a successful, financially and emotionally secure 60 year old any time over a 30 year old. What they don’t realize is that bodies change over time… once a man is 55+, what you see is pretty much what you get. I’ve always gone for substance over surface. In Los Angeles, it’s no wonder I’m still single.
    Lennie Ross recently posted..Wouldn’t It Be Nice? (or… would it?)My Profile

7. I so agree. We all have different tastes. My friend and I would always argue if a guy we’d spot is cute or not (and I don’t get the point why we argue. LOL!).