Bloggers + Wine – What Could Go Wrong?

Bloggers + Wine    What Could Go Wrong? batshit crazy  tru network showcase 0 300x136So, remember when I mentioned my new Radio Show? Well, we’ve survived the first few weeks without any major glitches. Minor glitches a plenty, but no major glitches.

Last week’s show featured KB in NYCSkye Blue from Met Another Frog and Jack from Brooklyn discussing love, , dating and technical difficulties (lots of technical difficulties). I guess I should mention that this is not an appropriate to listen to with children in the room.  Explicit language and all that.  I blame the 2 bottles of wine we had with dinner immediately prior to the show. And the scotch.

This and all of our other shows are available on our showpage.  Jack was kind enough to create an MP3 of last week’s show, which cuts out some of the tech glitches and station ads.

Tags: , , ,

11 to “Bloggers + Wine – What Could Go Wrong?”

1. jackie says:

All three of you are a special kind of awesome. I’m fortunate to call all of you friend.

Jackie

PS. I wish we could record ALL of our conversations, we’re hilarious AND poignant.

• Simone Grant says:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! You make all of our lives so much richer. And OMG talk about a fun project. Recording all of our conversations. Really podcasting or something like that. Hours of babble.

2. C. Fassett says:

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing it with us. Thumbs up :D

3. Liz says:

I just listened to the episode about aging as a single person and appreciated it so much. I just turned 41 last week and am struggling with the fact that, barring a miracle, I will not have kids, and I may never get married. It does feel very strange and isolating that I’m entering a period of life where my peers will be getting divorced or suffering from “empty nest syndrome” while I seem to have skipped over a whole chunk of the typical life course. I’m still confused by what this means to my future and my ability to relate to other women. I have a very, very small number of female friends who are in my same position (all of whom I met in college or later), but as far as I can tell from Facebook, every female acquaintance I grew up with as a child is now married, and almost all of them have kids. It seems impossible not to feel like an alien! I’m also not immune to all the insensitive comments that have been thrown my way, which boil down to how sad it is to end up “childless and alone.” Sometimes I can tell the commenter has accidentally let the comment slip, but just knowing he or she feels that way makes me close down.

The male host was funny, but I don’t think he can understand what it is like to be given the message that after the age of 33 or 34, you are no longer desirable as a woman. Not all men think that way, certainly, but a lot do, perhaps even the majority. And I had to realize at around age 38 that men who wanted to have kids just wouldn’t be interested in me. I understood it, but it was still difficult. As a man, a 43-year-old still has some time to have kids… a woman that age does not.

I related to several other things in the conversation as well, like how you will overlook any number of things when there’s real chemistry and how it’s annoying to date a man who is just looking for someone, anyone, to fulfill the role of “wife.”

I hope over the last decade I have not come across as one of those sad women who can only be happy in a relationship. I’ve moved cross country, landed some interesting jobs, taken amazing trips, lived in notable places, and thrown myself into interesting hobbies. I think, though, we tend to concentrate on those areas of our life that are underdeveloped or lacking, and for me, since I turned 30, that has been romantic relationships. Everything else in my life has worked except for finding a long-lasting romance. I also think the lack of a partner has weighed heavily on me in the last five years or so because I am a very social person, and I found my social life shrinking with each passing year as everyone around me paired up. I don’t feel I have any kind of community any more and that has been really rough for me.

Sex and the City was a groundbreaking show because it portrayed the lives of women who were still single in their thirties. It was disappointing to me that they were all married off by forty, as if as a culture we still can’t imagine what it means for a woman to enter her forties without having been married. I guess there is always Samantha, though…

• LadyD says:

Thank you, Liz. I’m almost 45, and save for the fact that I’ve never wanted kids, I could have written your post. You’re not alone, Chica.

• Liz says:

Thanks for creating and maintaining this blog. More and more I am turning to blogs such as yours because I simply don’t have enough “real” people in my life who can relate to the way I am living.

In the last year or so I have developed a solo life plan that I think I can be happy with, and I even found that when I was dating someone for a short spell, I was a bit reluctant at the thought of giving the plan up! I don’t know if I can pull it off, but I would like to move back to the cheaper city I was previously living in and work less than full-time. I’ve moved into a management career that I don’t really enjoy all that much (although of course I like the income), and I’ve realized that career success for women doesn’t seem to translate into increased dating opportunities like it does for men. So I find myself with too much responsibility and not enough support in my personal life… the running theme of my last decade. I’d like to start living for me now…

• Simone Grant says:

Thank you Liz and Lady D for chiming in here. It really means a lot to me to see people connecting to what I write and do.

FWIW, I don’t know what I would do without all the wonderful new friends I’ve made in the past couple of years. Meeting people from the social media and blog world has allowed me to connect with other people like me – single adults who are comfortable in their own skins.

• Liz says:

Thanks LadyD for your comment, and I meant thanks to Simone for creating the blog!

4. Jobo says:

I love this concept! So jealous ;-) Bloggers and wine…YES!

5. Liz says:

As far as planning life as a fortysomething single woman, I’ve read two good books lately that relate to the topic: “All Over the Map” by Laura Fraser and “Radio Shangri-La” by Lisa Napoli. Also similar is “and I shall have some peace there” by Margaret Roach.