Some Lipstick Would Help

Some Lipstick Would Help batshit crazy  300 shape lips 213x300A couple of days ago I found myself accidently with a man in the drugstore. I hadn’t planned it. Seriously. If I had, I would’ve been dressed better and wearing some make-up.  Lipstick at the very least.

But no, I’d just wandered in on my way home from a lunch meeting.  An informal lunch meeting, to which I wore sweat pants. No make-up. Not quite clean hair in a pony tail.

I was standing in the aisle, trying to reach something on the top shelf (this happens to me all the time). I’m really . And once I gave up on trying to reach it I decided to just stand there patiently until someone came along to help me (it was a quiet weekend afternoon in a not very busy store).

So I waited for a few minutes until someone came along.  A guy. Alone.  As soon as he entered the aisle I said, “Hi there, could you do me a favor?” And he said, “Do you need me to reach something for you?”

I’m a short chick standing in the aisle of a drugstore, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist.

So I said yes and he happily helped me get the OTC medicine I needed.  And we did a little flirty thing (him grabbing for the wrong thing, even though I clearly said which I needed, me correcting him, him grabbing for the wrong one again, me correcting him again).  I said thank you and wandered off.

A few minutes later, as I wandered up another aisle, I heard him call from a few feet away, “do you need me to reach anything for you in this aisle?”

All very rom-com cute.

So I’m thinking, I gotta go out and do that more often. More purposefully. Because I was SO NOT in the mood to flirt then and there. I was feeling grudgy and had my mind on work. But what if I actually tried this as my new meeting guys strategy?  With lipstick?

Whaddya think?

Tags: ,

22 to “Some Lipstick Would Help”

1. Barbara says:

Love this post. It reminds us single people that we need to be on our semi-A game at all times. I’m a makeup fiend, so I completely understand the lack of lipstick dilemma, but that does NOT give you the excuse to have a lack of personality. You handled this situation very well!

2. toywithme says:

The ole damsel in distress ploy – work it fine lady :)

3. Camilla says:

I completely agree – everywhere you have to be on your A-game at all times. In NYC you never know who you are going to run into! I just started a blog about my dating life in NYC and I completely love yours.

4. Sandyvs says:

I think you should’ve seen how far you could take it with that guy! Hey,he can’t see you looking much worse, can he? He’d be really bowled over when he saw you decked out.

5. Carla says:

I really like this way of meeting guys! My problem is that I’m 6′ tall chick and most definitely do NOT need help reaching things off high shelves!

6. Why change the packaging? If the test marketing was attracting the right kind of guy, why not go with the pony tail, no lipstick and sweat pants for the launch?

7. LadyD says:

Hence the reason I *NEVER* leave the house without being made-up – Always put your best face forward, because one never knows who you’ll meet! ;-D

8. find a date says:

I am completely agree that lipstick will help a lot to find a date anywhere…!

9. Jolene says:

I LOVE IT! So simple, yet so well done, right? And it seemed to have worked, right?!

10. Deanna Leigh says:

Making a note, and going to test the theory. :) Great post.

11. Funny story ;) I agree with you 100%, you should go out and be friendly to the guys that you meet, but not on purpose, just see what you make out of it. Keep your eyes open and you lipstick on!

12. Hey, it can’t hurt! It’s a harmless way to start interaction with someone new, I think it’s great! I’m short too, so I think I might try it!!

13. Hopelessly Beautiful Successful & Single says: