I Made the Call

I Made the Call dating update  Moderate to Low Talking on a cell phone slideshow image 240x300So I tried. As much as I dreaded it, I knew that the right thing to do was to call the Sunday Boy and tell him the deal. That it had been fun, blah blah blah…

I’d been stressing about it so much, and then finally I realized it really wasn’t that big of a deal.  I mean, I’ve ended serious relationships.  Pretty bluntly.  And this was so not serious.

So I called him.

And that was such a fuckin disaster.  I was out walking and stopped at a park.  I had a bunch of calls to make and I don’t know what possessed me but I figured I’d make them from the park.  Starting with him.  So I called him.  And  he answered right away.

He was out, hanging out with friends at a local bar. And he answered my call.  I’d ask why, but that’s obvious. He was hoping to get laid. So it was pretty much impossible for me to tell him anything.  I just said I was returning his call and that, no, I wasn’t available anytime this week…

And then we went on to have a totally inane conversation. Honestly, we had a not-great connection and so I’m not even sure what he was talking about. I was just half-there, half paying attention.  Wishing he hadn’t picked up so that I could’ve left a message.

I’m kinda hoping he gives up.  Stops texting/calling as it’s been over a month since I’ve been available to see him. And if he does, I’m thinking I’ll skip the goodbye call.  I gave it a shot and it didn’t work out.  And yeah, I know that makes me a .

Tags: ,

11 to “I Made the Call”

1. @lena_fm says:

Doesn’t make you a bitch. I think honesty is the best policy but it also depends on the recipient. I *know* the feeling, darling!

2. Ken says:

Love the blog. And this post.

That is all.

3. Simone, just caught up on the Sunday Boy saga. Totally with you on the texting thing. I don’t think skipping the goodbye call makes you a bitch. Guys skip that particular call all the time.

• Jean says:

Don’t you hate that double standard? I’ve had guys say “let’s get together again” at the end of a date, and then never call again – and that’s okay in the world’s eyes, but if we try that, we’re a bitch… OR, you could take Sandyvs’ half-serious advice – if he likes texting so much, then send him the Dear Sunday Boy text if he doesn’t get the hint.

4. Sandyvs says:

I stated before that I feel that it’s important to make that kind of cutoff in person or on the phone, but I’m kind of in a snarky mood today so…..since he texted you so much even though you told him more than once that you don’t like texting……why not send him a Dear Sunday Boy text? I’m also keeping in mind some of the other thoughtless things he did that you had mentioned. I’m half serious, half joking here.

5. Jolene says:

Ugh! Well, either way, it’s never easy or fun, so at least you got it over with, right?!

6. pups4me says:

I say if he calls you back and you’re available to talk then answer and tell him it’s over.
    If he doesn’t call but does text you, then text him that it’s over.
    I just broke up with someone I’d been seeing for a month or so via email even though I prefer a phone call. He had the same problem Sunday boy did-he thought texts and emails were substitutes for actual conversations. He didn’t even call me after the loss of my beloved dog…but he did text…that was the last straw. I am not content with emails and texts and I realized I deserve better.
    To each their own I say, but when you know what does and doesn’t work for you it’s necessary to not put up with what doesn’t.

7. I’m telling you . . . SLY DIAL. Google it. I always use it to break up with people because it bypasses their number and goes STRAIGHT TO VOICEMAIL. I live by it.

8. PaulC says:

Why not just shoot him an email saying that you “tried to do this over the phone but didn’t want to dump this on you in front of your buddies” and tell him it’s over?

Then you can get on with your life and not worry about “the fade” or if he’ll call… wait, silly me… TEXT you some time. It’ll all be done and off your mind.

9. Leigh says:

Just found your blog – love it! If you’re a woman over a certain age & single…you can definitely relate. I don’t know why, but the ones you always want to stop calling/texting…never do. I think it’s out of boredom. Anyways…back to the drawing board! Check out my blog:

Thanks for all the great comments/suggestions everyone. I’ve been overwhelmed this past week and so am waaaay behind. But it’s been another week and I haven’t heard from him so I don’t think I ever will, again. And so I think the story is officially OVER.