The Sunday Boy

So I’ve been seeing someone. But there’s absolutely no chance of this turning into a serious thing. None. I’m not sad about. I’m not sure I have any specific about it.

It’s just a Sunday thing.  He’s my Sunday Boy.  Note: Ever since I started to think of him this way, I cannot get the Saturday Boy’ out of my mind, even though one has nothing to do with the other. It’s just that it’s one of my favorite songs.  And please don’t tell me you don’t know who Billy Bragg is, because I’m already feeling old today.

The boy in question is The Younger Man. Yes, I’m still seeing him. On Sundays. Only Sundays. That way we can both easily date other people (if that’s what we want to do, but I honestly haven’t had time to date in weeks) without our thing getting in the way. ’cause Sunday isn’t really a date night.

Now, to be clear, neither of us have ever said, ‘hey, let’s get together on Sunday night’s from now on”.  It’s not like that.  It’s just that we went from normal dating – a few times a week and being in contact pretty much every day to this Sunday thing.  We still go out and have a pleasant conversation. It’s still kinda a date.  But also very friend-y. More friends with benefits that romantic in nature.

And we have sex and don’t spend the night and that’s that. No fuss, no muss. No drama. A Sunday thing with my Sunday Boy.

This is not, for the record, the first time I’ve had a Sunday Boy. Funny enough, the last time was the last time I dated a significantly younger guy (five years ago). And each time evolved somewhat similarly.

I know that a person could read all kinds of negative things into this Sunday thing. It’s a low-priority night. Blah blah blah.  But it’s a low situation at a time when my life is FULL of .  And, well, I don’t really feel the need to say much more about it than that.

Tags: , , , ,

15 to “The Sunday Boy”

1. NoMoreDuds says:

“I know that a person could read all kinds of negative things into this Sunday thing.”

It’s not that people are somehow “reading negative things into” your low stress situation, it’s that your last blog post specifically SAID you were unhappy about the lack of affection.

And I am. Unhappy about the lack of true affection in my life.

I’m also glad to have this incredibly low stress, once a week, thing.

The two feelings aren’t mutually exclusive.

• NoMoreDuds says:

Just because it is drama-free, doesn’t mean it’s stress-free. I do think it is contradictory to call this a low stress situation when it is clearly causing you stress (in the form of sadness.) And, my purple, disapproving-looking avatar agrees.

• Simone Grant says:

So it sounds like this would be a stressful situation for YOU. For me, these are the 3-4 least stressful hours of my week.

I am sad that there is currently no intimacy in my life. He has nothing to do with that, one way or the other. He is certainly not contributing to the sadness. Either you get it, or you don’t.

3. Catherine says:

I kinda want a Sunday boy …. how does one initiate such a relationship? :)

4. Jolene says:

Well that’s quite the revelation and hey, I dig it. Go you and younger man!! As you note above – I agree that true affection isn’t mutually exclusive low stress situation…you have defined parameters in your head about it, so as long as it works, I say go with it.

5. sandy says:

you go ahead and do your thing with the sunday boy. i just wanted to let you know that you’re not the only billy bragg fan around these parts and thank you for posting the video.

6. Sometimes a Sunday boy is exactly what you need. Maybe not in the long run, but for right now ;)

7. misspinkles says:

Your blog is funny! Loving the dating stories!

If you’re having fun with this younger Sunday boy, what’s the harm ;)
    Keep up it!