My 5 Best Curl Up on the Sofa Date Movies

First, some stuff:  1) pretty recently I saw a post on best date movies.  I can’t remember where. I forgot to bookmark it and this morning when I googled it I came up with these old posts from Nerve.com and AskMen but that’s not the one that made me think of it.  Oh well.

2) I really don’t like going to the movies on dates.  It’s kind of an antisocial activity.  You’re sitting next to someone, not talking.  Unless they’re a movie talker, in which case ICK.  And some people are kinda freaks about movies, insisting on sitting in very specific places or getting there really early or leaving if the sound isn’t just perfect (don’t get me started on that).

I do like movie dates, though.  But only the ones that involve a DVD and a sofa and some yummy junk food.  Maybe some cuddling, too.

Alright, 3) I hate chick flicks.  Loathe them.  I would rather eat glass than see most romcoms and the only thing I hate more than romantic comedies are those long, ridiculous epic love stories.  Titanic – um, I’d rather be locked in a closet for a week without food.

And lastly 4) I think most movies made in the last 10-15 years are too damn long.  I don’t want to sit for more than 2 hours for a movie unless it’s a work of pure genius.  And let’s be honest, very few are.

So a lot of things that end up on these Best lists make me want to heave. Seriously.

That said, here’s my list (in no particular order).  My 5 Best Curl Up on the Sofa Date Movies.  And no, I don’t expect universal agreement on these.

1. Psycho -  I love classic Hitchcock and still get a little shiver down my spine every time I see the shower scene.  Excellent for grabbing onto that someone special.
  2. Raiders of the Lost Ark – I was happy to see this as number 7 on Nerve’s list.  It’s fun, fast and doesn’t take itself too seriously. Plus it’s under 2 hours long, which is important.  Too many action flicks come in at 2hrs + and, as I said, I think that’s too damn long.
  3. Some Like It Hot – Another one of my picks that made the Nerve list (they put it at number 1).  Classic. Hysterical.  Fabulous.
  4. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off - It’s a generational thing for me.  I was 16 when this movie came out.  And anyone I date would have to be able to get it to get me.  Plus – Danke Shoen.
  5. Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House – Yeah, I know you’ve never heard of it.  This movie is like a perfect little chocolate truffle. Everything you need in one compact bite.   Think The Money Pit with Cary Grant and genius writers.

ps I would not watch any of the movies on AskMen’s list while on a date.  But again, that’s just me.

Tags: ,

8 to “My 5 Best Curl Up on the Sofa Date Movies”

1. starangel82 says:

I adore Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Genius.

As far as chick flicks for dates you can’t beat When Harry Met Sally. You just can’t.

2. Tahoe Bill says:

I agree, movies are a terrible date. Save ‘em for when you run out of things to talk about. At which point you gotta ask yourself what am I doing with this person…lol

3. iamalejandra says:

Re: AskMen Top 10: Jerry McGuire?! Really?! BARF!!

4. grad student says:

haha. The AskMen date movies. Terrible. I don’t know if I would have thought of yours either SG, but most of the AskMen I wouldn’t watch just on my own!

5. LittleMissAngry says:

i love watching horror movies, but none of the men i dated previously liked them. which is why the current man in my life is special in that way. he loves horror movies too :) just last week, i was curled up on the sofa with him, with beer and junk food (and a lot of cuddling) watching rob zombie’s ‘house of 1000 corpses’. loved it! haha.

6. dmfontana says:

Ok after reading this list I’m realizing that I’m1) either a romantic guy or a 2) woman…lol.

As for “Mr. Blandings” – love it, great movie. Reminds me I should have a little “Wham” for brunch tomorrow.

I share your view of movie dates as useless as well… you are bascially sitting next to someone not talking. The date happens before or after, the movie is an interruption.

A real movie date is a DVD or on demand where you can actually create a shared experience, In my long term relationships we used to have movies we watched together, guilty pleasures of sorts that were on our shared movie lists..

-starangel
    If I had to watch a chickflick I’d be OK with When Harry Met Sally. I love the little pieces they do with the old couples they interview, talking about how they met. That, I admit, melts my coldass heart.
    -Tahoe Bill
    Yep. I just don’t get why people go to the movies as a date. I’ll go if asked, but it’s a sucky idea.
    -iamalejandra
    I KNOW!!! They suck.
    -grad student
    Well, it’s good that you wouldn’t have thought of mine. I wanted to give people new ideas.
    -LittleMissAngry
    There is something awesome about being able to share something like that with a guy you like. I have a thing for Jackie Chan movies and have never dated a guy who wanted to watch them with me :-) Maybe next time.
    -dmfontana
    If it isn’t wham it isn’t ham… I know that I’m a little too macho in my tastes. Many of the men I’ve known are more romantic than me. *shrug”. I’m sure the next woman in your life will love you for your willingness to watch chickflicks with her.

8. darkheath says:

I’m kind of a romantic sap myself. When Harry Met Sally is one of my all time faves, but another great romantic date movie that doesn’t really fall under the “traditional” romantic comedy is Johnny Depp’s “Don Juan DeMarco”. It’s absolutely brilliant and I think it’s Marlon Brando’s last film.