I HAVE A NEW THEORY

And yes, I meant for the title to be all in caps.  It’s for emphasis.

So maybe this theory isn’t new.  Maybe someone else has said this before.  But yesterday is the very first time this thought entered my head.  So it’s new for me.

But before I share this new theory with you, a couple of disclaimers for people who aren’t regular readers:  I have a thing for older men.  It’s not uncommon for me to date men who are 10 years older than me.  It’s just something I frequently do.  And always have, since I was a teenager (well, when I was a teenager they were only 5 years only than me – college boys when I was in high school).  I like older men and they like me.

I have nothing against older men dating or older women dating younger men.  I do, however, get sick of being told that I’m too old for men in their 40s (by some men, they are not in the majority) because I’m 39 and I know many other women in their mid-late 30s who feel similarly.

Disclaimers aside, here is my theory:  Men in Manhattan have a tendancy to date much younger women because it’s too damn hard/expensive here to find a decent parking space.  Those guys, the 49 year olds who won’t date anyone older than 30, they’d have sportscars if they lived in the burbs.  But they live here, Manhattan.  And owning a car in Manhattan is a bitch.  So much smarter to just use a Zip Car and/or occasionally rent.

Younger women – they’re the new ferraris.

I’d like to thank my good friend Tom Miller over at for writing about guys, fast cars and mid-life crisises. Otherwise, this never would have occurred to me.  If it wasn’t for him, I’d still be thinking that guys in went after much younger women because they were trying to avoid a serious relationship or getting tied down with a woman who wanted a kid in the near future.  Nope, I’m pretty sure it’s all about the lack of decent parking.

Tags: , , ,

8 to “I HAVE A NEW THEORY”

1. Jevaun says:

That is not a bad theory at all.

2. Tom Miller says:

Thanks for the mention, you may be onto something. Gotta stay young somehow…

Seriously – Younger women are the new Ferraris. Can’t you just see the t-shirts?

4. Singletude says:

If only it were JUST New Yorkers who preferred younger women…

5. Veka says:

I don’t get it…

-Singletude
    No, it’s not just NYers. But men here seem to take it to a new level.
    -Veka
    ?? what’s not to get.

7. Veka says:

Maybe since I don’t live in Manhattan I’m oblivious to this, but I’m trying to figure out what finding a parking space has anything to do with dating younger women as opposed to older women? Also, how does living in the burbs or owning a Ferrari make a difference? How is the younger woman the “new Ferrari”? The whole thing has me confused, sorry.

-Veka
    Well first, I was being cheeky. And second, some people spend hundreds of dollars a month on parking spaces. Or more. It’s really quite hard to park on the street here, every day. And since Tom’s article played on the classic middle-aged man buying a ferrari as part of his mid-life crisis, I pointed out that a middle-aged guy in Manhattan would have noplace to park his ferrari. Hence, he’d have an even bigger reason to date someone much younger than he was (another part of the mid-life crisis).