6 Quick Pick-Me-Ups for the Glum Gal

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?  Well, my good friend Tom Miller aka wrote a post the other day called 6 Quick Pick-Me-Ups for the Glum Guy and I’ve decided to flatter him in the sincerest way possible.

His 6 things were all non-sexual, btw, and so I’m going to stick to the same standard.  Sorry, it’s not going to be one of those posts.  Oh, and here’s my usual disclaimer – I do not pretend to speak for all women.  I’m sure there are some women for whom these don’t apply.  Get over it.

1.  Shoulder rub.  Show off your big, strong hands and give the woman in your life a 5 minute shoulder rub. Smiles will follow.

2.  Run her a bubble bath. Sure, there are some anti-bath people out there (I’ll never get that) but most women enjoy a long luxurious bubble bath.  Alone.  Don’t try to climb in there and crowd the tub.  Just make sure the tub is nice and clean, run the bath and light a few candles.

3.  Suggest her favorite food for dinner.  It doesn’t matter what it is- pizza, steak, bbq, sushi.  She’ll just get off on the fact that you suggested her favorite.

4.  Chocolate.  I know, I know.  What a stereotype.  But if I’m glum and you want to cheer me up quick, without much effort and without spending much money, I’m gonna suggest a bar of good, dark chocolate (I’d go with a Green and Black Organic Chocolate with cherries).  Mmmmmmmmm.

5.  A “just because” card. Who ever thought of those was a freaking genius.  Take a pretty picture, put it on a card, write “thinking of you” on the inside and sell it for $3 +.  Absolute genius.  But I love them. Sappy, I guess.  But it works every time.

6.  Dance with us.  I like to dance.  You wanna cheer me up – put on some music, pull me off the sofa and dance with me.  Instant happy.

Tags: , ,

8 to “6 Quick Pick-Me-Ups for the Glum Gal”

1. Jimmy Rice says:

This all sounds like terribly hard word. Well, apart from No.6. No girl can resist my chicken dance. Fact.

2. DaveTheBrit says:

To be honest Jimmy, I can’t resist your chicken dance either.

My additions:
    Cook her dinner, no matter if you balls it up, if you put the effort it, it shows you care
    Watch a “girly flick”, no matter if it numbs your brain for 90 minutes
    Flowers, another cliché but still works.
    Go for a long walk, let her talk about whatever is making her glum, or not. fresh air works!

3. Jennifer-in-NY says:

I know you were keeping it ‘clean’ but I love bubble baths for two. In my boyfriend’s flat his bathroom has a tub and he’s the first guy I know who takes bubble baths for fun. How could I not love him?

I find just a call or good conversation with a friend or SO, particulary a friend I haven’t talked to in a while cheers me up immensely.

4. jenmata says:

I’m with you on all of these, just make my chocolate a milk creamy one and I’m game!

5. LoneStar60 says:

Try Dagoba Lemon and Ginger chocolate bars. A lady friend of mine swears they are the finest thing on God’s green earth!

6. Shannia says:

If a man dances with me, right there, just because, all my problems go away, I just love it. This guy I was dating put on my favorite sappy song after my first sleep over at his house, right before I was about to leave and asked me to dance….

7. shabel says:

I could totally use a shoulder rub!

-Jimmy Rice
    Hard work, eh? Not for a man who ever hopes to get laid. Ever.
    -DaveTheBrit
    Now you’re a man after my own heart. You went for the platinum plated options. Any woman would be lucky to have you trying to cheer her up.
    -Jennifer-in-NY
    Yes, talking usually helps me too. But then, this was supposed to be a “quick fix” list and most guys find listening to be quite difficult, sadly.
    -jenmata
    Hey, if it’s good chocolate, I’m not picky :-)
    -LoneStar60
    Just the name of that is making my mouth water. Mmmmmm.
    -Shannia
    It’s amazing. Even if a guy is a horrible dancer, just the effort will make my heart sing. If only they all knew how easy it was. And cared enough to try.
    -shabel