Pick Up in Aisle 6

Last night I made a quick stop in the market for and filters  They keep the filters I like (unbleached) on a high shelf and I can’t reach them.  So I stood nearby for a few minutes until somebody tall was near enough for me to ask for help.  And sure enough, a very cute young man walked into my path.

Now, just for some context, I was on my way home from a meeting (and me being me, my meeting was in a bar).  I was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and my favorite pair of converse.  Oh, and my hair was in a pony tail. In other words, I looked like shit.

So I said to the cute, young man (very young, I’m guessing around 21/22), “Excuse me, you seem to have at least 7 inches on me, could you grab some coffee filters for me.  The small ones.”   I was so not hitting on him.  But he blushed like I’d just asked him to come home and screw me senseless.  He grabbed my filters and then lingered for a few seconds as I thanked him.

2 thoughts on this – a) now THAT’S a great way to pick up guys.  b) he’s going to tell someone/everyone he knows that some old, ugly woman tried to pick him up in the market.

Tags: ,

12 to “Pick Up in Aisle 6”

1. DaveTheBrit says:

What a lie.

You’re not old…

2. ChristinaO says:

21/22? He’s going to only remember the “you seem to have at least 7 inches” part.

3. Tales From a Bar Stool says:

I’m sure you looked hot. Guys like it when girls are casual because they seem more accessible. I picked up a guy in a supermarket once… ahhh… good times.

4. @icounsel4food says:

ponytail, jeans & t-shirt? I’m sorry but I think that’s sexy as all hell as long as a woman is secure and doesn’t come across as the “I don’t care what the hell I look like type”… to quote a young 20-something rap artist, “hair tied, sweatpants, chillin’ with no makeup on; that’s when you’re the prettiest, I hope that you don’t take it wrong”. Don’t knock the casual look. lol

5. JillL says:

At least you weren’t having him reach for the Os-Cal. LOL.

6. LPS says:

I’m sure you looked hot. Why else would he blush? Yes, the 7 inches comment probably caught him off-guard till he realized what you meant. I can just picture the scenario! Lol! And you’re not old! You’ve also said before you don’t look your age. So the 21 yr old’s probably wishing he had the nerve to ask you out, thinking you’re only a few years older than him. That’s brilliant! This story is a great ego boost, in fact!

7. Honey Smith says:

I was waiting for him to say, “I could have seven inches on you if you want…”

-DavetheBrit
    Well, I’m not old. But I’m a lot older than that boy/child. I’m old enough to be his mommy.
    -ChristinaO & Honey Smith
    That seriously did not occur to me. It’s just a figure of speech. One which I will now employ more strategically.

I love how everyone else is so sure I looked how. I ADORE YOU ALL. I should have Lostplum testify to just how NOT HOT I looked. But hey, I love the fact that you all can’t imagine me looking all grubby.

-Tales From a Bar Stool
    I do think the, oh please Mr. Cute boy can you reach that for me would be a fun way to meet someone. Maybe tonight on my way back from the party I’m going to?
    -@icounsel4food
    You guys say that, but we see the looks we get when we walk into a room in a little black dress.
    -JillL
    LOL. Now THAT would’ve been funny (btw, darling, welcome!!)
    -LPS
    It’s true that I don’t look my age, and the way I was dressed last night I probably looked like I was in my late 20s – still lots older than him. I would’ve died if he asked me out. DIED. Of laughter.

9. singlutionary says:

Hahaha. That is a great story. Nope. Women are sexy to boys. Period. I bet he was just really flattered and hasn’t really been around that many women before. Trust me. He liked it!

10. LoneStar60 says:

Yeah — right. You looked like shit. I’m sure. NOT!

Yes, we like the little black dresses, especially when paired with the stiletto heels and garter belts, but come on — you probably looked like a college girl, and the “you have seven inches” line is EXACTLY what made him blush — and why he hung around for a while too!

I am sorry you lost your pendent though…I mean, you could have always sold it for some fast cash! :-)

11. jenmata says:

I’m sure he IS going to tell his friends about you, but about how flattered he was a cute woman was flirting with him. Men don’t blush when ugly women try to pick them up, they blush when the hot ones do. You, my friend, fall under the hot category, ponytail and all!

12. Anonymous says:

“pony tail, jeans & T >> little black dress” in my book …