Last week I posted my New List of things I was looking for in a man and a relationship. And, not surprising, the item that got the most attention was #3, “If we are going to embark on a serious LTR then he’s gotta be open to talking about us having an open relationship. I am not convinced that monogamy works for everyone. I’d rather have an open relationship than deal with issues of infidelity/sneaking around.”
This wasn’t the first time I’ve mentioned open relationships on the blog. And every time I do there’s a reaction (YourTango had a story about an open marriage recently and it got over 200 comments.) So today I’m trying a poll to get at people’s real feelings about them. Because clearly people are interested. But maybe it’s not the good kind of interest?
What do you think/feel about open relationships?
- I’m a firm believer in monogamy. I think that couples should commit to one another and be faithful to that commitment. (71 votes)
- I’m open to the idea of couples having ‘extra fun’ together (threesomes) but not the idea of my partner dating someone else. (41 votes)
- I think I could be OK with it, if it were on a don’t ask/don’t tell basis. I wouldn’t want to know what my partner was doing. (8 votes)
- I like the idea of open relationships and would want to be truthful with my partner about my extra activites and vice versa. (33 votes)
- Other – please explain in the comments (11 votes)
Tags: monogamy, open relationship, polls