The topic was, if only I knew then what I know now (suprisingly, I wasn’t the one who brought it up either time).
The truth is, I can’t imagine what my life might be like now if I knew at 21 what I know now. I was so utterly clueless then. Clueless. And of course I thought I knew everything. I am not in any way suggesting that all 21 year olds are clueless. Just saying that I was.
I’ve been thinking about this for the past hour or so, and here are a few concrete things I’ve come up with:
- I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have married any of the men I’ve ever dated. None of the knowledge I’ve gained about dating, men or relationships would make that play out any differently.
- Back when I was 21 and the hot pilot I’d met in Paris told me to stay with him for a while/indefinitely (blowing off my final semester of college), I would have said yes. A girl only gets one chance to be 21 in Paris. I could’ve finished college a semester or two late.
- I would’ve ended a couple troublesome relationships earlier. Especially the one that seemed to eat my twenties.
- I would’ve been a better breaker upper. I used to be really back at it. Nasty calls and emails and all kinds of ugly. I’m much better at it now.
- I would have travelled more, taken more chances, given my heart more readily.
I’m sure there’s more, but this is what comes to mind. What about you? What would you do differently, if only you knew then what you know now?
Tags: age, brunch, Thrillist