Record Setting Suckiness

I’m home early tonight.  Really early.  Record setting early.

My date was just that sucky.

I swear this guy left his personality at home.  He just sat there and stared at me.  And smiled.  That goofy, ‘I think you’re cute’ smile.  So pathetic.

This is a man who’s lived in Manhattan all his life (where there are beautiful women everywhere you look).  Who owns his own business.  Who is successul and, until tonight I was under the impression he was bright.  He’s very well educated, at least.

But instead of us having a pleasant conversation over drinks he just sat there and stared at me.  And so after a half hour I made up some half-assed excuse about how tired I was and left.  I just couldn’t.

Tags:

15 to “Record Setting Suckiness”

1. PiscesInPurple says:

Ew. That’s that WORST. Had you talked to him on the phone before this?

We had. And he came off as sweet and smart and charismatic. WTF?

3. TonyImages says:

I’m sorry about that Simone… it does suck… really! I couldn’t even begin to venture why or what the issue was with this “stiff” but I can say people are often not honest about what their thinking and from a guys prospective its hard to just say whats on your mind.

4. amberying says:

Not even bringing up topics from phone conversations? Tsk. Sounds like a nice guy, but also sounds like you need someone who is on his game. Inexperienced, socially awkward people? NO.

PS. Night is still young! Esp. in NY time.

5. SerialSinner says:

That sounds extremely sucky. It was a good opportunity to have fun though. I would have started asking scandalous stories or questions while keeping a serious straight face, just for the sake of looking at his reaction.
    Something like: “I have always wondered about animal rights when it comes to zoophilia. I mean, what if they don’t enjoy it?”

6. drumdance says:

Did you think of calling him on it? Not in a nasty way, just say something like “I get the feeling you’re not telling me something.” Or even just “Ask me a question.” I dated an introverted girl recently and wasn’t until I challenged her that she started to open up. Then again, I guess it’s the guy’s job to do that…

7. MindyMom says:

Yikes. I hate when this happens. I go through the trouble of getting a sitter and getting all fixed up and then the guy is a dud. What a waste and an unfortunate reality of dating.

8. Susan Mercedes says:

Painful dates suck. Did he think it went well (i.e. send a follow up text or call)? Because that makes it worse.

9. starangel82 says:

I’m sorry your date was so sucky. Maybe last night just wasn’t the night for dates.

-TonyImages
    Well, some people just suck on dates and become painfully shy. And sometimes I’m willing to go the extra mile and do ALL OF THE WORK. I wasn’t last night. So wasn’t.
    -amberying
    Yeah, I’m kind of over the socially awkward people. At least for now. Too much work. And it was nice to just go home and each junk food and catch up with a friend on the phone.
    -SerialSinner
    You’re right. And if I cared more that would have been a great way to loosen him up. But I just really wanted to go home.
    -drumdance
    I don’t really think it’s the guy’s job I just think he was awkward and I didn’t care enough to make all of the effort for the two of us. Sad but true.
    -MindyMom
    Oh god. I feel especially bad for the single moms. I don’t have to worry about a sitter. It’s just the bother of putting on make-up and getting dressed up and getting there. Which is a pain, but not the end of the world. :-)
    -Susan Mercedes
    Funny you should mention that. No, he KNEW how badly it went. I was polite, but I’m sure he knew. But last night I got an email from a dud from a couple of months ago saying how much he enjoyed meeting me and that he REALLY wanted to go out again. WTF? I already told him no.
    -starangel82
    Oh no. I don’t like the sound of that. ???

11. Barrett says:

Wow that was a really bad date, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was anxious and then tried to take something to calm him down resulting in the statue you met at dinner.

12. sfsingleguy says:

I like to think of bad dates as credits against my dating luck, kind of like points that you save up and cash them in for a good date.

-Barrett
    That would be a good explanation for how stiff and quiet he was.
    -sfsingleguy
    I like the way you think. If that formula is true, I have an awful lot of points in my account. Where can I cash them in?

14. Singlegal says:

Why did you not call me and enlist my Punk Your Date Services? I could have taught him how to speak, or at least puked on his shoes!

-Singlegal
    Darnit. I forgot all about your Punk Your Date Services. Next Time (we both know there’ll be a next time).