About Last Night

OK, I couldn’t resist.

And yeah, I know that a significant number of my readers are too young to get that reference.  Oh well.

Here’s what happened, in brief:

I met the European outside the movie theater.  Now a couple of quick notes.  First, I was having a major wardrobe malfuction.  I had decided to wear a specific black summer dress which has a scoop neck, that isn’t especially low.  But it has to be worn with a specific bra.  I know I’m about to lose all my male readers here.  Stay with me.  I was running late, and had all of 2 minutes to get dressed (I realized at the last minute that my toenail polish had gotten really chipped in the last 24 hours and so needed to redo that, which took 15 minutes…).  Anyway, I couldn’t find the bra that went with this dress.  So I had to go with 2nd best, the only other bra I have that is low enough.  And that one is a push up.  Well, the effect of the push up bra and the scoop neck was that all night long it looked like I was about to come out of my dress.  It was not subtle.  Not the way I usually dress.

The second thing was that he picked a really great movie for us to see.  I was a little peeved to find that he is a movie talker.  Not excessively so, but a little.  Hey, no one’s perfect.

After the movie we went for drinks and a light supper.  Again, he chose someplace wonderful.  And we had a great conversation.  We found out many more things we have in common.

So everything was great, right?  Well, yeah.  Kinda.

We were in a neighborhood a little far from where we each lived.  After dinner he asked if he could grab me a cab.  I thought that maybe we’d kiss a little while waiting and then maybe(?) he’d hop in with me.  Instead, he just gave me a little peck, barely even a kiss, and I went home alone.  He texted me within minutes to say goodnight and we’ve exchanged many texts since and we now have plans to go out tomorrow night in my neighborhood (his suggestion).

So that’s that.

Tags:

10 to “About Last Night”

1. Anonymous says:

Sounds like your first date went great. I really enjoy reading your posts. Don’t forget to appreciate the romance of dating.

2. marlowedh says:

At least you went home to a clean apartment :) I tease, but only because I have the same romantic optimism that compels me to clean my apartment and have fresh and clean sheets and towels before dates I’m really excited about. More often than not I end up taking a post date bubble bath alone in my newly pristined bathtub before wrapping myself in a fluffy, april fresh towel, and going to be with the latest from Murakami.

3. Anonymous says:

Didn’t you want to wait 90 days, especially after that event you’ve gone to? :)
    This was your 4th date, right? Maybe his magic number is 5? He defintely picked a strategically optimal place for your next date tomorrow night.
    Let us know what you had for dessert when you write about him again on Saturday morning.

AB

4. Anonymous says:

Maybe he is not just that into you? Not sure why he wants to meet you tomorrow then. Maybe he is a gentleman and thought it was too early? Or he is just shy?

5. sfsingleguy says:

It can be tough to concentrate on getting a cab and make a move at the same time. Your wardrobe malfunction may have disrupted his ability to multitask. That’s my thought from a guys perspective.

6. parlezvouskiwi says:

Ive always found movies on a date a strange concept because its hard to get to know someone when you are both watching the screen (hence maybe the reason he was chatting during the movie!). But the date sounded like it went lovely, even with the second bra :-)

7. Yvonne Y says:

Minus points for talking during a movie – pet peeve!I think the outfit might have thrown him a little…:) He definitely sounds very interested in you though. He seems to be enjoying the thrill of the chase..perhaps you should take over the reins on the next date and totally surprise him! Looking forward to your next update!

8. sfsingleguy says:

@Yvonne Y – I was thinking the same thing about the movie talking, but I think that it may be a cultural thing.

Anon#1
    Thank you so much. It was in fact a 3rd date although it felt like a 4th or 5th because they were so spread out (he was away on a trip and then I was in bed, in pain, for a weekend). The romance of dating? Yes, I do tend to forget about that. Sad.
    -marlowedh
    First, welcome to the blog. I was thinking the same thing when I got home that night. At least I had a clean apartment. And Murakami is one of my favorite authors.
    -AB
    Yeah, no 90 day rule for me. I wonder how many people in NYC have ever followed the 90 day rule. And yes, being on my neighborhood will make things easier. Plus we’re going to one of my favorite places :-)
    Anon #2
    Your guess is as good as mine, but I’m pretty sure it’s not that he’s not into me.
    -sfsingleguy
    You could be right. I was pretty embarrassed about the dress. It looked like I was throwing myself at him. Tonight I will be dressed much more appropriately.
    -parlezvouskiwi
    I completely agree about the movie thing. I’ve always thought dinner and a movie is a strange date concept. Once you know each other well. sure. But not until after that point.
    -Yvonne Y
    Hmm, it could very well be about the chase. Some guys are into that. I find it rather tiresome. Damn I sound so jaded.

10. sfsingleguy says:

singlegirl – I don’t think you’ll find a guy on the planet who would complain about being thrown at. Nothing to be embarrassed about there.