I’m an online dating veteran. Been doing it on and off for almost 9 years. A lot of things have changed over time. Back in the olden days, very few people posted their pictures online. We actually had to read through everyone’s profiles and decide who we were interested in without having any idea what they looked like.
Nowadays, a profile without a picture doesn’t get much action. And a profile with a bad picture, well, a bad picture is almost worse than no picture at all.
It’s remarkable to me that some people don’t get this. They just toss a pic up there and assume it’ll be OK. But the truth is, a bad picture will mean no dates for you (this is true for both men and women, btw). It’s not so much about what you actually look like, but rather showing some good judgment when you select the pictures you upload to your profile.
With that in mind, here are a few things that I think every guy should know before he hits that upload button.
- It’s best to have more than one picture. Two is enough, 8 is too many. At least one of them should show your face in close up.
- Use recent pictures. Women want to know what you look like now, not 2 years ago.
- Remember to smile. I won’t reply to a guy if he’s not smiling in at least one of his pics.
- The pictures that guys take in front of the mirror are usually pretty creepy. Don’t do it. It’s easy enough to take a picture of yourself w/o the mirror. Better yet, ask a female friend to take a picture of you. She’ll make sure you look your best.
- It’s not a good idea to include a picture of yourself without your shirt on (even if you have a hot bod) unless you’re seeking a strictly sexual relationship.
- Take off your freakin sunglasses. We know you’re cool. The headshots with the sunglasses are anything but.
- Show a little restraint – don’t use a “boy with toy*” shot.
*boy with toy shots are the ones with guys in sportscars, or skydiving, scuba diving, sailing, flying a small plane etc.
Tags: Online dating, online dating profile picture, smile