What’s in A Name

We only dated for a few months.  I was 20 and I guess he was probably the same age.  And I hated his name.  Hated it the way only a self-involved, 20 year-old could hate the name of a she was dating.  He had one of those really geeky names that brought to mind pictures of small, weak, little boys getting beat up during recess.

And so I decided that I was never, ever going to use his name.  I called him “what’s his name”.  Not to his face.  To his face I called him sweetie or honey or darling.  And this was way back in the dark ages before email or texting (well, there were a few uber geeks who had email, but I wasn’t one of them) so we weren’t writing to each other everyday.  But behind his back, to my friends, I called him “what’s his name”.

I just couldn’t see myself romantically, sexually involved with a man named ____________.

Names are funny.  People go crazy trying to decide what to name their kids.  And yet, even with all of that hard work they frequently seem to get it wrong, somehow.  I know that half the time when friends tell me the names they’ve picked for their babies, my first reaction is ?  I was actually at a baby shower, several years go, where the mother revealed that yes, they had selected a name.  There was stunned silence for a few seconds after she told us all and then some polite, “oh, isn’t that sweet” comments. But the second the mom-to-be left the room to go to the ladies room the entire party erupted into criticism of what a horrible name they’d picked.

Anyway, you’ve probably noticed that I have a name now.  I’m no longer SINgleGIRL.  Not on Twitter, anyway.  And right here on my new header I’m proudly telling you my name, Simone Grant.

It was a tough decision to make.  Whether or not to stay as SINgleGIRL or switch to Simone Grant.  But I realized it was just a matter of time before someone got confused and mixed up me and SingleGal or singlegirlie or someone else.  Let’s face it, there are a lot of smart, wonderful single women out there.  And while we’re all unique, it was getting hard to tell us apart in a crowd of names.

Tags: , , ,

19 to “What’s in A Name”

1. calamari says:

Wait, so you’re not going to tell us that guy’s name???? Was it Dilbert? Or Rumpelstiltskin? Anyways, glad you’re using your real name. I like it. Simone is such a pretty name. :)

2. SINgleGIRL says:

-calamari
    I think it’s a much better story if I leave out his name :-) And thx.

3. calamari says:

I’m going to pretend it was Rumpelstiltskin then. :) :)

4. derek7272 says:

good for you. are you going to post photos now??

5. mariamiles says:

I have found over the years, that the names Benjamin, Sean, Adam and Steve were the most attractive names for some nice boys/men :)

6. Teifion says:

Well in the emails I sent you I didn’t manage to guess your correct name, ah well :s

It’s always annoying to not be able to stand out. With a name like “Teifion” it’s not too hard but without even having to look I had seen other ladies going by names similar to SingleGirl :(

7. Anonymous says:

You know, it’s one of those things like getting so use to a name that the name is who the person is. I’ll try to use the new name SG, I swear I will. Hi Simone I’m Bobby, nice to meet you ;) Bobbyboy

8. SINgleGIRL says:

-calamari
    And now when I think of that story I will imagine him as Rumpelstiltskin.
    -derek7272
    Thank you and um, no.
    -mariamiles
    I’ve dated Seans, Adams and Steves but never a Benjamin. Perhaps I should put out a search?
    -Teifion
    Yes, I would imagine that you never have trouble with blending into the crowd.
    -Bobbyboy
    But you can still call me SG – the initials are the same.

9. Veka says:

“But you can still call me SG – the initials are the same.”
    Did you do that on purpose? Pretty clever :)

10. Shannia says:

Well nice to meet you Simone, is that really your name? Because with the initials being the same it makes me wonder. :)

11. Devon aka Dru says:

Names are crazy things; I find that quite unfortunate that he got stuck with a lousy name, especially if he was a strapping young lad who deserved something much manlier. There are guy’s names that I like but would never want to attach to a human, so I give the names to my pets instead. They never seem to mind, so it’s cool ;) I thought I would mosey on over and see your blog too. And I like it :) I’ll be back again soon!

12. SINgleGIRL says:

-Veka and Shannia
    I can be clever, sometimes. :-)
    -Devon aka Dru
    Glad you found you’re way over here and welcome. I hope you’ll be back. And yes, there are so many guys names I’ never attach to a human. Much better for pets.

13. DarthOreo says:

My kiddo has a doozy of a name. Her mom went crazy, she has 3 middle names. First name being Judissey. I think her mom made it up but, its grown on me. I hated the name at first but now like it. Had bought 3 domains when she was born her name .org .net and .com.

14. Lindsaysmom1220 says:

I once dated a guy with the same name as my father…Never again, too creepy. Couldnt date anyone with the same name as any of my brothers either….yucky!

15. WiiAdam says:

A name can say a lot about a person..this is true.

re: marie*

*giggles.

`x~WiiAdam

16. WiiAdam says:

Sorry: typo!

*maria

~x~WiiAdam

17. Rufus Dogg says:

Ah.. I was confused on Twitter. I don’t remember following SimoneGrant but your avatar looked familiar to someone else’s :-) At first, I thought there was some identity copy going on, but reading this makes sense. I was just about to unfollow you, too.

18. SINgleGIRL says:

-DarthOreo
    She’ll probably grow to love it and if now there are lots of easy nicknames for her to adopt. 3 domains?
    -Lindsaysmom1220
    I’ve never dated anyone with my dad’s name and I honestly don’t think I ever could. Hmmm.
    -WiiAdam
    Always with the smiles.
    -Rufus Dogg
    Yeah, I tweeted about it several times for the first couple of days and now i just figure it is what it is.

19. Singlegal says:

Damn! And here I was totally hoping that people were going to confuse us! Oh well. I’ll try to do my best to represent *winks*