With A Name Like That

I like to eat.  We’ve covered that many times before. And I like wine.  But I’m not a foodie and I don’t know much about wine.  I know what I like and I like trying new things.  Beyond that, well, I don’t really care about what grew where and the finer details.  My head is already full of facts that I can’t keep straight.

So when a friend said she wanted to go to a new cheese and , at first I was a bit hesitant.  I checked them out online and it looked like one of those places where everyone was just so serious.  Like I’d have to study before we went so that I could know exactly what to order.  Or worse, that everyone was going to be sitting around all night talking about the delicate undertones of whatever in their wine.

But then my friend said, “No, you’ll like the place.  They have something on the menu called a Pig’s Ass Sandwich.”  And I was sold.  I figured, with a name like that it had to be good.

That first visit with my friend was probably over a year ago.  I’ve been back several times since, with dates.  It’s become one of my favorite places for a casual, fun, adventurous but not cheap, 3rd or 4th date.  The place’s name is Casellula and officially it’s “a cheese and wine cafe”, not a winebar.

This is not the place to go if you’re either a picky eater or uncomfortable with experimentation.  Like I said, I don’t know much about either wine or cheese.  Luckily, the staff is both knowledgeable and patient and they’ll work with you to help you order.  And it is the kind of place where you might need help ordering.  I was completely unfamiliar with their wine choices (but have since tried several – all good) and the sheer amount of cheese on offer is mind numbing.  Plus, you’ll want to save room for the Pig’s Ass Sandwich and dessert.

I do wish it were bigger and not always so crowded (although that does seem to be tapering off a teeny, tiny bit) but this spot in Hell’s Kitchen can be a great backdrop for dates.  First of all, you have to navigate a pretty intimidating menu.  Do you do it together or separately?  Will your date ask for help from the staff, or insist they he/she knows everything?  Do they enjoy trying new things or do they resent not being able to get their favorite type of wine (there is no merlot, no cabernet sauvignon, no chardonnay, no pinot grigio)?  Basically I know, if I have fun with someone here, they are FUN.

Tags: , ,

8 to “With A Name Like That”

1. kingjac says:

great blog enjoyed hearing about how things are there keep up the good work ! thank you

2. CHFBrian says:

Sounds like a great place, and exactly the kind of place I enjoy. I love food and wine, and know enough about wine to know I really don’t know anything, but can speak intelligently about my ignorance.

3. SINgleGIRL says:

-kingjac
    Thanks, as always. Tweet you later.
    -CHFBrian
    It’s a pretty great place. Not that I have a clue, but they have some cheeses on the menu that I’ve never seen anywhere else and they’re pretty awesome.

4. CHFBrian says:

While I love cheese in almost all its forms, I’m must less well-versed in it than I am with wine. I like trying new things, but when I’m buying for myself I tend to stick with what I know – parmigiano reggiano, pecorino romano, various kinds of goat cheese, roquefort or blue, gouda, that kind of thing. I’m always up for something new though, and it’s great to find a good haunt with a wait staff who knows what they’re doing.

For those of us in Brooklyn, I recommend the Stone Home Wine Bar in Fort Greene. a bit on the pricey side, but they have some great bottles and a knowledgeable staff.

5. SINgleGIRL says:

-CHFBrian
    By biggest problem with Casselulla is that I can never remember which cheeses I’ve tried from time to time. Too many. And yeah, a little on the pricey side but it’s NYC. That’s almost a given.

6. CHFBrian says:

Well, there’s pricey, and then pricey for NYC (or Brooklyn). Stone Home is good but pricey even for NYC. It’s not exorbitant, and it’s got a really great vibe, but there’s no way I’m going in there with a date and getting out without spending a little more than I’d planned on. Not a huge deal, but worth mentioning it if anyone’s going there for the first time, especially with there being lots of other really great, pretty inexpensive places right around it.

Still, there are few better places to go after seeing a show at BAM.

I will give this Caselulla polace a shot next time I’m hunting for wine and/or cheese in the area.

7. mamasitamalita says:

oh my gosh I LOVE Caselulla!! i completely agree with your description, I have yet to go with my boy… he’s a meat and potatoes guy, I’ve thus far only been on girlfriend dates. the chocolate cake is divine.

8. SINgleGIRL says:

-mamasitamalita,
    Welcome to the blog. Yeah, even with the Pigs Ass Sandwich on the menu(which is hardly girly) Caselulla isn’t really a place for a meat and potatoes kind of guy. :-)