A few weeks ago I wrote an article for TSBmag called From Girl to Girlfriend – Making it Happen. I’m no dating expert, but I’ve certainly dated enough guys and had enough boyfriends to be able to write coherently about that stuff. That’s what I thought, at least.
This morning, as I was trying to get myself motivated to do some work, it occured to me that Mr. Potential isn’t really doing any of the things on my list. Or, not much/well.
- He has been very generous with me. Embarassingly so. He has brought me gifts and flowers. But they were things that had nothing to do with what I’d like. They had no relation to anything I’d ever expressed an interest in. He did buy us tickets to see a concert that he knew I’d like because we’d discussed the artist. And that did impress me. But other than that, nothing. No thoughtful links to things he read that he thinks I’d like or anythng like that. And the concert was 2 weeks ago.
- We have not met each other’s friends. ‘Til the season for holiday parties. There’s been no mention of going to any together.
- He was honest about his feelings when I told him that I hid my online profile. Since then I have been walking on eggshells around him because he seems a little rattled. So now I’m afraid to talk to him about anything of importance because I don’t want to rattle him more. Emotional openness does not seem to be his strong suit.
- He has never asked my opinion about anything, other than what I’d like to eat…
- He has been good about that last one. I have a relatively good sense of how he came to be who he is. How he formed into the adult he is now. In some things. The unknowns are still vast.
So, on the surface, this sounds to me like a guy who isn’t making much of an effort to make me his girlfriend.
A couple of hours ago I came close to just confronting him. I hate loose ends. I called him and was just going to say something crazy. I wasn’t even sure what. I was thinking of telling him to watch his email and then just sending him a link to the blog. But instead I just went about making plans to see him on Friday, I decided it would be nicer to do the deed in person. And, I guess, to give it one more night. To see if he does something different. something to make me think things are worth investing in. Maybe I’ll just lay a bunch of my stuff out on the line and see how he reacts. Life is really more about how we react to what happens, after all.
Tags: Dating update, guest post