December 1st is World AIDS Day

I could sit here and write my own post about how important it is to recognize this day. I write openly about the fact that I am sexually active, and so therefore this is an issue that affects me.

However, I just read a great post over on 20/40.com on this topic, and so I will defer to that.

I just have a couple of things to add, from my own, personal perspective. HIV and are real. I happen to live in a reality with many people who struggle daily to live full, happy lives with the virus. It’s possible to do that now, thank goodness.

There are people, though, who have become complacent. Who don’t use 100% of the time. Who forget how many people have died and how many others people are infected each year. Maybe it’s an age thing. I was already a sexual teenager when AIDS first hit the newspapers. It was news - can kill. Yes, HIV is not the death sentence it once was. But it’s not a joyous gift either. There’s no excuse for carelessness.

Tags: , ,

6 to “December 1st is World AIDS Day”

1. Anonymous says:

I was curious as to your thoughts and experiences with condom etiquette. Blow jobs/and the female equivalent whether giving or getting leaves you prone to getting STDs (not as high as intercourse but still a must when it comes to protection). It seems that there’s a two-sidedness to condoms and sex. Condoms are a necessity for intercourse, but it seems that they are… not taken seriously in the case of oral sex.

Does everyone seriously use dental dams when going down on a girl? It seems like a lot of people don’t.

Is it common to precede sexual relations with getting tested? I have no idea how this works… please enlighten me on this tricky matter.

2. Miss Heather Leigh says:

It’s really, really awesome to see another blogger writing about this issue. Thank you.

3. the kops says:

very nice blog

4. lisaq says:

Thanks for the link girl. Sadly, I think you’re right that many people have become complacent. Hopefully, we have helped heighten awareness of the importance of being vigilant at least a little.

5. terra says:

Condom – the first step against AIDS

6. SINgleGIRL says:

OK, I’m going to deal with the easy comments first:
    -Miss Heather Leigh, Thank you, as always, for your support.
    -the kops and terra, I hope to see you back here. I appreciate your comments.
    -lisaq,
    Yes, it is so sad but very true that people have become complacent. In the last few years I have had 3 different guys try to talk me out of using condoms. One was someone I’d been dating for many months. Needless to say, I have a no glove/no love policy. But they all clearly didn’t. I’ve been tested since those relationships have ended, and I am healthy (yeah) but it makes me fear for their continued health.
    And now, Anonymous -
    I am not going to pretend to be an expert on STDs or sexual health. The links in the 20/40.com post will give you stats about exactly how safe or unsafe certain behaviors might be. I will tell you that, honestly, no. Most people do not use dental dams and condoms all of the time for oral sex. This is a matter of personal choice. I am not saying this is a good thing. It is the honest answer, however. For me it boils down to the risk level of the behaviors and my partners.

As to your last question regarding getting testing prior to sexual relations. I know that there are people who do this. I also know that there are people who see this as a step in their relationship: they start with condoms and then when they are ready to COMMIT they go get tested together and declare themselves completely monogamous upon receiving clean bills of health (and then stop using condoms).

It’s a matter of personal choice. Here is my truth. I have only had unprotected sex with 1 man (you read correctly, 1 man) in the last 15 years (prior to that I admit to being less vigilant). I was in love with him and we had both been tested. I do not think this makes me immune to AIDS and other diseases. Just safer than those who are less careful.