Waste of Time

I got in a while ago from tonight’s date. It was a complete waste of time and energy. Worse than that, really, it was a . The kind of date that makes me want to stop trying, to stay home alone and read every night.

He was one of those inappropriately arrogant blowhards. I say inappropriately arrogant because he really didn’t have all that much going for him. The first 20-30 minutes were OK enough and then he started to pontificate for what seemed like forever on a subject he knew very little about. He pretended to know everything about it. He read an article. And he went on and on. I just looked at him with my head crooked to the side giving him my, you’ve got to be kidding look. But he wouldn’t shut up.

Eventually I broke in and pointed out a pretty obvious flaw in his argument and told him he was full of shit. And yeah, I used those words. I’d lost my patience.

Oh well. Better next time.

Tags: ,

8 to “Waste of Time”

1. Anonymous says:

Wow, that’s sad. Funny for those of us on the outside, a little, but really kind of pathetic and sad. Sorry you had to go through it.

Curious – if you don’t mind mentioning it, what was the subject he went on about? I know that’s not the point, but something tells me it would be an illuminating detail.

2. SINgleGIRL says:

What was he going on about? Well for the handful of you who know me in the real world you’ll understand how funny this is, he was pretending to know about the lives of adults who aren’t very well educated. Let me put this in context for the rest of you, in my former life, before I decided to focus on my writing, I was an educator. I have a fancy degree and years of experience. But the crap this guy was talking would have offended anyone with an ounce of common sense-he just didn’t realize I was going to call him on it. Anyway, that’ll teach me to go out with an academic. A guy earns a Ph.D. in one subject and he thinks he knows about everything (and more than everyone else).

3. lisaq says:

Ugh! I hate those guys! I’m so glad you put him in his place girl!

4. Diana says:

Was he one of those that just kept going on and on and wouldn’t let you get a word in?

5. SINgleGIRL says:

And going and going and going! And he probably thought I was a stupid bitch for interrupting him and having my own opinion. Exhausting.

6. zandria says:

I’ve only been on Match for a few months, but so far my dates haven’t been too bad. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time, though… :)

7. SINgleGIRL says:

Good luck Zandria. I was never lucky with Match but I think that has a lot to do with geography. I’ll send good dating thoughts your way.

8. bobbyboy says:

I’m no expert, not even close, but you did the right thing (with your own flair of course).

“The kind of date that makes me want to stop trying, to stay home alone and read every night.”

This would empower the egg-heads by taking a nice girl out of the equation, and keeping a real connection with a good guy from happening.

Keep on keepin’ on!